Electricity can be expensive. Anyone who has seen their parents’ electrical bills during the summer in the IID service area knows that usage during the summer can cause bills to skyrocket. Though IID has some of the lowest rates in the state you can also help save by following some simple energy efficiency tips.
- Keep the air conditioner set at 78 degrees.
- Use CFL or LED light bulbs, they last longer and use a fraction of the amount of energy as traditional bulbs.
- Turn off things when you aren’t using them – lights, TVs, stereos, computers and monitors.
- Use power strips for TVs, DVD players, etc. and turn them off when not in use.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothing.
- Air dry clothes and dishes.
- Check windows and doors at home, make sure they are closed and sealed off well.
- Invest in ENERGY STAR® appliances, electronics, windows and other products to save on energy.